Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dollar Store Finds

If you haven't been to the dollar store in a while, you should go check it out!  You just never know what treasures you might find.  In the past, I've often stopped in there for gift bags and candy, but that was about it.  A while back, I ran in there for something and ended up doing quite a bit of shopping.  I thought I would share some of my favorite finds.  You know I'm all about the bargains, so I get excited to share when I think I've found one.  :)

Some of this stuff can be found for cheaper than $1 with coupon deals, but some of those coupon deals only come around so often.    
Kids dishes.  $1 for two and the kids love 'em.  The package says not to microwave or wash in the dishwasher, but I've done both and they are holding up great.  And, if something happens to them, no big deal.  They were cheap!  
Paper supplies.  They have cute, matching patterns and you can get 10 large plates or 20 small plates for $1.  Obviously not as high quality as Chinet, but for your everyday picnic or barbecue, they work great.  
Condiments.  If you are making a run to the dollar store anyway, it's a great time to stock up on condiments that you might want to have on hand.  They have both brand name and store brand.  I've tried both and they have all tasted great. I love the Italian dressing I purchased there.  I use it in pasta salads and it's yummy!
Gift Bags!  You can get ginormous gift bags at the dollar store.  And they are cute!   Why pay $3 or $5 for a big gift bag, when you can get one just as cute for way cheaper?  I stock up on gift bags at the dollar store every now and again.  You never know when an unexpected birthday party might come up.
School Supplies.  When I was organizing the girls' playroom I wanted to get their craft/desk area well stocked.  I purchased many of the supplies at the dollar store.  Glue sticks, pencils, scissors, tape, lined paper...it's great to have lots of supplies on hand for craft projects and someday school projects.
Modeling Clay.  Another thing for the playroom.  You can buy a pack of this stuff for $1 and the kids love it.  It doesn't dry out like Play Doh so your kids' creations can last a long time.  

Kids hair products.  I love the coconut scented shampoo/conditioner.  And the detangler works and smells fantastic! 
Microfiber Cloths!  I LOVE these!  A couple people have told me now that they swear by microfiber cloths for use in the kitchen, cleaning, etc.  I saw them at the dollar store last time I was there so I picked up a couple.  They are awesome.  Do you have stainless steel appliances?  I do and they are pretty much always smudged...until now!  I have a stainless steel cleaner that works great, but it's a pain to pull it out and shine it up after every little smudge.  Especially when I know those little hands are on their way back in about two seconds for another round of smudges!  Now I just pull out my microfiber cloth, get part of it wet, wipe down the appliance with the wet portion, then wipe it down again with a dry part of the cloth.  It shines it right up!  Not as perfectly as my stainless steel cleaner, but it's much quicker (and cheaper).   
Microfiber Sponges.  These work great too and the little fingers that make it look like some type of muppet or something are excellent for getting into little grooves that are tougher to get to with a normal cloth.  
We love these babies!  Buy some marshmallows to go with them and you have easy s'mores.  YUM!
   
So there you go!  My two cents about the dollar store.  Happy shopping!  :)

1 comment:

  1. You always find the greatest "finds"...this is Hilary By the way. I don't know why it is saying anonymous

    ReplyDelete