Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Funny Valentine


Neither Jeff or I are very romantic. I'm not someone who loves flowers or boxes of chocolates for Valentine's Day. Honestly, if he really wants to show me his love, I would rather have him help me organize the garage or something! Really makes your heart go pitter-pat, right? :)

However, since Valentine's Day is tomorrow and Jeff is working tonight, I thought I would blog about some of my favorite things about him.

Anyone who knows Jeff very well, knows that he is funny. This quality attracted me to him instantly. He is sarcastic, witty and loves to laugh. After being married for almost seven years now, I have a lot of his jokes down. Sometimes I'm like "Really? You are doing this one again?" But honestly, I love it. For a long time he used to love to use this line whenever he would go to pay for something at Target, Wal-Mart, The Olive Garden...wherever. He would say "Do you take the Bon card?" He thought it was hilarious. It cracked me up to watch him get so excited to use that line on people.


On a more serious note, Jeff is probably one of the most empathetic and kind people I know. He really feels for people when they are in pain or going through something. Whenever I open up about sad things like losing my mom or something, he tears up and I can tell it hurts him to see me hurting. I love this quality.

He would definitely argue with me on this one, but I think he is so spiritually strong. It's important to him to pray and study about the Gospel. He is truly dedicated to serving in his church callings and elsewhere. (If he reads this, he'll say "Yea, right! I'm so bad at that!") When it comes right down to it, I just feel like he really gets the big picture. He wants to follow the teachings of Christ and have our family do the same. Simple as that.


Jeff is a hard worker. When we were dating, he was concerned that I might be worried about him not having his college degree. It has never worried me one bit. Jeff is very smart and has gone far in his career. I know that no matter what happens, he will always figure out a way to support his family. Jeff just isn't a conventional education type of guy and it's become one of the things that I love him even more for. He is creative and seeks education constantly from other areas.

This leads me to another quality I love about him. He is not in the least bit self promoting. Here's an example. Recently at his work, one of the VPs wanted to go out and ride along with someone in his group to get a better feel for what they do. Jeff was asked to take this VP along with him. While some of his team members were jealous and would have jumped at the chance to be able to shine if front of management, Jeff couldn't have cared less. Of course, he wanted to make a good impression and represent his group well and all that. But, if his boss would have chosen someone else for this assignment, he wouldn't have thought twice about it. The truth of the matter is, Jeff was probably chosen because his boss knows that he is a hard working, no nonsense kind of guy. He's not going to say or do things just to make himself look good. This quality has gotten him far in life.

I love that he is such a great handyman. It seems like he can fix or build almost anything. If I want bookshelves...no problem. The toilet breaks...no problem. We need to do some remodeling...no problem. Well, he usually ends up a bit frustrated by the end of these projects, but they always turn out great. I love that he is so willing to just get in and try.


He is an awesome husband. We never argue about anything except for meals. (See my blog post, "Not My Favorite") I always feel like I am his #1 priority, even before our girls. I think he has learned the lesson "When Mama aint happy, nobody's happy!" He works hard to make sure I am happy. I like this. :)

He is a great dad. His girls love him. He takes such an interest in what they are doing and truly gets excited for them when they learn something new or have something exciting going on. Lizette runs to the door and screams pretty much every night when he gets home. When he is at work she will often act sad and say "I want my dad." (See blog post, "Mommy Dearest" for more on that.) :) Seriously, I love that he is so interested in his girls and being a good father to them. They couldn't have asked for better. And neither could I.


Happy Valentine's Day Honey! I love you.

3 comments:

  1. This was so sweet Jackie. You are so awesome, I bet he is just as thankful for you! What a great guy you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet he's crying right now reading it....just kidding. But Jackie, I would have to agree with you on all of it. I think Jeff is the greatest guy! I'm blessed to have him as a brother. He really does get the big picture, he loves his family, he's respectful to all those he's around, and he's 100% committed to anything he's involved in. You picked a good one. But I also have to say one simple thing...he married up! Jackie...you are the BEST too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee thanks Jackie! My husband saw this post and said to me... "Did you know that Jackie did a whole post about Jeff for Valentines Day and all you did was post "Happy Valentines Day"?" Nice...
    No, we like Jeff too ;)

    ReplyDelete