Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A test of wills...



Lexi is a sweetie. I love her to pieces. She has many great qualities. However, I think she has it out for me.

I don't think she is a colicky baby, but she is very demanding. (I wonder where she gets that from.) Our tough time is not at night. She actually sleeps great at night. It's the days we struggle with. She does not like to nap and she doesn't like to be left with anyone else. This makes it difficult for mommy to get any kind of a break. Jeff was saying the other day that he can take over so that I can have a day trip somewhere on my own. Day trip? Whos' asking for a day trip? I would just love to go to Wal-Mart in peace at this point! If I take her with me, she cries. If I leave her home, she cries for Jeff the whole time. I don't handle this kind of stress very well.

So, I dusted off my Babywise book and decided to get serious this week. We are doing baby boot camp.

I'm pretty wimpy about letting her cry herself to sleep. I was the same way with Lizette and remember realizing that this was the only way to get her on a schedule. Yesterday was day one of NOT holding her for most of the day, rocking her to sleep, and running in to calm her every time she cried.

I just fed her, kept her up for a little while for playtime and then put her down for a nap. No rocking, no binky, just bed.

How did it go, you ask? The first nap, she cried for an hour and a half, pretty much non stop. The second nap was no better...almost two straight hours of crying. I did go in periodically to pat her, and reassure her that I was there and everything. By the end of the second nap, she had actually fallen asleep. I could still hear her whimpering in her sleep though. When I went in to pick her up. She had her entire fist in her mouth. Oh my. We'll see how today goes.

3 comments:

  1. Oh how tough! I feel for you, plus I'm scared for when my #2 kiddo arrives! Hang in there and keep trying...it has to eventually get better doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. kuddos to you on going back to Babywise (I've done that with the last 4 kids and it's been a life saver!! Yes, it's "sad" and "tough" the first couple of days (when they're crying and trying to get used to the new schedule) but in the long run it makes life SOOO MUCH BETTER!!) So hang in there! and if you need some moral support (or physical support - I'm just a stone throws away!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a total believer of babywise, you know that. I hope it is going better! I have to say that I'm excited as anything to hear her little cry in a few weeks. I'll hold her all weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete