Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easter

We had a really nice Easter. Spencer and Jamie had the family over to their house on Saturday night for dinner and an Easter egg hunt. It was so fun and Lizette thoroughly enjoyed herself. Here she is pictured below with her Widman cousins hunting for eggs. I think they found them all within about three minutes! It was so sweet...When her older cousins saw that she didn't have as many eggs as them, they helped her find more for her basket. That made my heart smile.



Easter morning was exciting. Lizette was thrilled to see so much candy in one basket...all for her! And Lexi could not have been happier with her new baby chick.

I have to say that I sort of have an issue with the idea of the Easter Bunny. I think because it commercializes such a spiritual holiday and there is really no story that goes with it. I don't feel the same about Santa because he is real and I know the story behind him. So, this is our story of the Easter Bunny:

"One day, a bunny rabbit was hopping around town and stopped at a church. He peeked in and there were lots of nice people inside learning about Jesus. This little bunny thought that Jesus sounded really, really nice. The bunny wanted to be just like Him. The following Sunday was Easter and the bunny decided the best way to celebrate would be to do something nice for others that day. So, he decided to take some candy to some little kids and leave it as a surprise on their doorstep. He hid behind a tree to watch these little kids find their candy. When he saw how thrilled they were, he decided that he was going to do this every year from then on. Every year, he would take candy to more and more kids. Now, he takes candy and treats to kids all over the world. He hopes that it will remind these kids that we should all do nice things for each other, just like Jesus would want."


3 comments:

  1. Jackie, totally agree with you on Easter. This year we focused more on Christ, but on Easter morning when Grandma out does the Easter Bunny, what are you going to do. I swear the kids got more candy at Easter then they did at Halloween. Urgh. Great story by the way, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story - mom would be so proud of you. It is pretty sad that the Easter Bunny is more important and gets the bigger focus than the Savior. However, I do have to say that Grandma Weller's Easter baskets were the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this picture!! Coming from someone with a big mouthy smile....I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete