Friday, August 7, 2009

Potty Party


We did it! Lizette is potty trained. Finally.

Back in May we tried the "Potty Training in a Day" method. The day of the training went great. She seemed to be catching on and getting into the whole idea. I was amazed at how well it worked. The next morning she woke up wanting nothing to do with going potty like a big girl. "I want to wear a diaper" was her response to my coaxing. What?!! After that entire day of talking nothing but potty and being so exhausted...and this was her response? How could this be? I thought about it and decided maybe she just got burned out after that intense potty boot camp. Or, maybe she wasn't as ready as I thought.

So, I knew we had a vacation coming up in about a month and vacation is no time to be in the middle of potty training. I decided to wait until we got back. But then it was me who needed some motivation. I was tired. Pregnant and tired. I needed motivation. That motivation came in dollar signs. $$$. I definitely didn't want to be paying to have two in diapers come October. And that was it.

I woke up Monday morning early. Said a long prayer asking for help. When Lizette woke up, we said a prayer together. (We pray a lot around here.) And we were off! I brushed the dust off the videos and books that had been sitting around for the past two months, and we had a scaled down version of the original "Potty Party".

The first two days were really tough. Lots of accidents and lots of false alarm trips to the bathroom. However, I was excited to see that she actually wanted to try this time. She didn't wake up the second day saying "I want to wear a diaper". I figured this was progress.

By day three, she was telling me when she had to go and only had one accident. And that was at the swimming pool where she was freaked out to use their bathroom.

By Thursday, she had done it all. #1, #2, she stayed dry all day, and even woke up in the night telling me she had to use the potty. Wow! I can't believe it was that easy. I'm thinking we are still in for at least a few accidents down the road, but I am so pleased that we have made it this far.

Most of all, I am so proud of my sweet little girl. I've been emotional this week just watching her transition into one more next phase of life.

Way to go Lizette!

No comments:

Post a Comment