One of Lizette's favorite stories is the story of how I stole the cookie when I was about five. My mom had just gotten home with groceries and was putting them away. I spotted cookies and asked if I could have one. She told me no and that I had to wait until after dinner to have one. When I thought she wasn't looking, I took a cookie and ran and ate it behind the couch. See, I do have a rebellious past! :)
I guess I wasn't very sneaky, because when I crawled out from behind the couch, my mom was standing there. She asked if I had taken a cookie and I told her no. Obviously, she knew better. She knew the cookie was gone and I'm sure all the crumbs on my face were a clue. She proceeded to march me upstairs and I believe either she or my brother ended up giving me a good spanking. I won't say which brother to protect his identity.
My mom made it very clear that I wasn't in trouble for taking the cookie. I was in trouble for LYING! The whole incident had a huge impression on me. From that day forward, I don't think I ever lied to my mom again. Even in my high school years. Even in the midst of some of the really stupid things I've done in my life. I always came clean to my mom.
Well, Lizette loves the cookie story and asks me to tell it to her all the time. I always make it a point to share that the reason for my unfortunate punishment was for the lying and not for the cookie robbery.
Last night, Lizette came up to me with her head down and looking very upset. She said "Mom, there's something I have to tell you. I tore a page in one of our books and I taped it so you wouldn't know and I never told you that I did that. Mom, I'm really sorry I didn't tell you the truth."
Oh my goodness. My heart just about exploded. I was so happy that she told me something that took so much courage for her. Of course I didn't care about the book, but I was beyond ecstatic that she is not only learning the importance of honesty, but feeling it too. I could tell that she felt so bad.
Thank goodness for the cookie incident. It made an impression on me and I think it has on Lizette too.
No comments:
Post a Comment