Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sweet Relief

I've blogged quite a bit about my struggle with migraines this past year. Sorry to complain so much, but it had become sort of a big trial I was dealing with. I wasn't feeling good, or happy or productive or like myself at all. For whatever reason, I have been getting them more frequently.

Well, there are a ton of migraine medications out there, but my problem was that all of them that seemed to work for me were so expensive. We just changed our insurance to a health savings plan this year, so that changes things with prescriptions. So having insurance will often give you a discount on prescriptions, but you still have to pay the balance out of your health savings account. And at as much as $30 per pill for this migraine medication, and as often as I get them, that could drain our health savings pretty quickly.

I tried to just take over the counter stuff and that just was not working for me anymore. I finally went to a doctor, told him my predicament and we started sort of a trial and error with inexpensive medications. To make a long story short, through this process I found out that they now make a generic for the REALLY good migraine medicines, like Imitrex, Maxalt, etc. It's roughly $1.00 per pill and sometimes I only need half a dose, so $.50 per pill!

This is amazing news.

And it works great! I've had several headaches come on since getting this new medication and it takes care of them almost instantly.  It's like I don't have to deal with the pain at all.  And there are no side effects like drowsiness or anything. Miracle!

After I left the pharmacy, I literally just cried...tears of joy!!!

Lessons learned with this trial:
- Get a good doctor and ask tons of questions
- Go to a good pharmacy that actually pays attention and will give you information on generics and other options. My Walgreen's was the one who told me that there was now this generic available. It was even news to my doctor because it was so new to the market (at least, that's what we thought...it's actually been available for TWO years...ugh!)
- Sometimes answers to prayers come later than we like, but there are many blessings that can come out of going through a trial. In my case, I'm appreciating good health more than ever. And I've learned to appreciate many other things a little more because of going through this.

So today I have a grateful heart. I am so happy to feel good and know that I will feel good again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment