I was at Target yesterday and saw a lady who struck a strong resemblance with my Grandma Weller (my mom's mom). This lady was shopping for little girls toys and looked as thrilled as ever to be shopping for probably a great-granddaughter. It was cute to watch.
I was thinking of how sweet my Grandma Weller was and how if she were still around she would probably be doing the same thing at this time of year.
I have the sweetest memories of my Grandma. She had to be about the kindest person I've ever known. When we would go visit her she would do everything possible to make sure that her grandkids were as spoiled as possible. She always bought a little 6 pack of apple juice just for me. She would get up early and make a huge breakfast and would always remember how each of us liked our eggs cooked. Then she would even heat our breakfast plates for us.
She had a box of toys that she would get out every time I came. These toys had to be so old and were not the cool, gadgety type toys that they make today. But I would play with them for hours. There was Charlie - the stuffed monkey (I still have Charlie), a toy typewriter, a JJ doll and a few other random things that she kept on hand for us.
She was so proud of her family and so pleased when we came to visit. Especially after she lost Bomp (my Grandpa). She must have been so lonely at times and I know her family was such a bright spot in her life.
I think my brother Paul was her favorite. It was pretty obvious, but I'm not bitter. :) She would always light up when talking about Paul. When he was in his 20s he went for a visit to go help her out around her house and she was absolutely thrilled. The clincher, which will forever make him the favorite, was when he was doing yard work and dug up a long lost ring of hers. I think it may have even been her engagement ring, but I'm not positive. The story of him finding this ring was shared with everyone in town.
One thing that I've always felt bad about is that I would get so bored as a kid listening to her tell stories. She was never short on words. And as you may have noticed from reading my blog, I may just have inherited this trait. She would tell story after story about her youth or old friends or family memories and I would just sit there hoping she would get done soon so we could do something else.
I would give anything today to listen to those stories. And I would give anything to go to Grandma Weller's and let her spoil me rotten one more time.
And what a blessing that God gave us the gift of memories so that we can revert back(in our mind and heart) and enjoy just one more moment with a special someone.
ReplyDelete