Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Happy Mother's Day

I woke up very tired today and was probably not as enthusiastic about celebrating Mother's Day as I should have been. My family treated me royally and it was a lovely day as far as that goes. I guess I was just so tired that it was hard to really get into the swing of things.

But then this afternoon something hit me as I looked at my two little angels playing with each other. How lucky am I to be their mother? They are the sweetest gifts from God that I could have ever imagined. I can't believe sometimes that He trusted me to be their mother. They teach me so much more than I could possibly hope to teach them. They are pure innocence and joy wrapped up in the cutest little packages. I never knew it was possible to love so much.

My mom never liked Mother's Day. She thought too much was made of it and always felt guilty for not being a better mother. Ha! She was the best. I think she much preferred the out of the blue letters or phone calls from her kids on other days of the year, than the obligatory flowers sent for Mother's Day. I also think she really felt that being a mother was a gift and calling from God and not a thing to make such a big fuss over. (My mom had strong opinions about things like that.) Maybe that's where some of my feelings about this day come from.

Of course, it's lovely to be pampered and appreciated. I love the kind words and gestures and I think it is important to honor the most important women in our lives.

But I think what makes Mother's Day special isn't the kudos we get for being mother's. It's taking a day to think about the pure joy that comes from having the chance to be a mother. Not everyone gets that chance on this earth and those of us who do should cherish it and not take it for granted. Unfortunately, I all too often fall into the category of taking it for granted. I trudge through a lot of days dreading the laundry and diaper changes rather than focusing on the sweetness that I get to be around all the time.

Here is a glimpse of that sweetness...



They are precious. I'm blessed to be their mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment