Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fitness Camp

I signed Lizette up for a fitness camp through Treasure Valley Youth Fitness. I thought this sounded like a great thing for her to build up some confidence and learn a little bit before going into school PE and other sports ventures. There are about 15 kids in her group. She is by far the youngest and one of three girls. Once we arrived and I realized how much smaller she was than the rest of the kids, I was a little nervous. She was a little nervous too and wasn't so sure about the whole situation.

I decided to stay the first day and make sure she did okay. Once they started their exercises I became even more nervous. They all took off running and my little girl was behind everyone else by a long ways. Oh no! I just knew she was going to be nervous, scared, embarrassed, or all of the above. They ran for about 10 minutes. More worried thoughts...Would she be able to survive this? What kind of mother am I for sending her to fitness camp at only five years old?

Then they stretched. Okay, stretching is good. Lizette was fine. And then came the bear crawls down the field! What? Bear crawls! Oh no Lizette! I'm so sorry! Oh no! Again, she was way behind everyone else. Thankfully, she and two of the other younger kids only had to bear crawl half way down the field instead of the entire length. After the bear crawls came sit ups, jumping jacks, lunges, squats, planks, jump roping, and some other things I lost track of during my internal meltdown.

During the water breaks she seemed to be doing fine and said she was having fun, so that calmed my worries a bit. And the trainers stood by her the whole time, cheering her on and making sure she was okay. They were great.

In the end, she absolutely loved it! I couldn't believe it. And in the end, kept going, did not give up, listened to the trainers and did not complain once. And the most comical part of the whole thing was they timed all the kids to see how long they could hold a plank position. Lizette tied with one of the older boys for the longest time at 3 minutes! And I think this is maybe the first time in her life she came home dirty, sweaty and grass stained. :-) This is going to be good for her!




Above, with the rest of the group. She is the second one from the right. You can see some of the older kids are bending over, catching their breath. This was no easy workout! 

No comments:

Post a Comment