Monday, December 14, 2009

So Much to Blog About!

Wow, have I taken a serious sabbatical from blogging or what? Honestly, these past couple of months have been pretty tough for me. Wonderful, but tough. Bringing Lexi home has been a joy, but it has definitely turned my world upside down and sideways for a while. (Upside down and sideways...is that a common saying? Or did I make that up in my head? Knowing me...probably the latter.)

Anyway, I've been feeling like a total wimp for being so overwhelmed with two kids! I'm around women all the time who have 4...5...6 kids and they seem to handle it just fine. I bring home baby #2 and go into a complete tailspin! Things seem to be getting better and I'm hoping that this was just a brief phase of insanity that goes with caring for a newborn. Someone...please tell me that's what it is! :)

Each day with our little Lexi is an adventure. She has been a little more fussy than what I remember of Lizette at this age. However, this may be due to the fact that she has to be left to cry for longer periods than Lizette ever did being our firstborn and having two parents that were available to pick her up at the first sound of a whimper.

Here is a story all of you mothers can relate to:

The other day at about 4:00, just before Jeff was due to get home, Lexi went into an all out screaming fit. Just as this started, Lizette said "I'm going!!", which means get me to the bathroom now. She has been doing great going potty on her own, so I told her to run to the bathroom and to let me know if she needed help. Two seconds later, I was covered in Lexi's spit up and Lizette was standing in a pool of pea in the bathroom. Two seconds after this discovery, all three of us were crying! Thankfully, after we were all cleaned up, calmed down and back to normal, I was able to laugh about it. I guess these are the things that I'll look back on someday and miss, right?

Well, I don't want to take up this entire blog entry whining about the challenges of motherhood. Some really fun things have happened too. We blessed Lexi two Sundays ago and it was a lovely day. Jeff did a beautiful job and Lexi looked like a little angel. She wore the same dress that Lizette wore, which my sister Abby crocheted. Totally sentimental and beautiful. We used the beautiful crocheted white and pink afghan that Hilary made for us this time! I forgot it when Lizette was blessed and I was so happy to have another opportunity to use it. Thanks Hilary...and sorry we missed using it the first time around.

Here are some pictures of that day:

Beautiful.

This is a typical portrayal of life at our house right now.

Happy family

We also had the annual Rigby family Christmas party at our house that weekend and it was a blast! Tons of kids and pure chaos, but still a lot of fun. We bought a bunch of already prepared food from Costco for the event, which made my life much easier. (By the way, the Pumpkin Streussel muffins from Costco are oh so yummy!) All of the little cousins made ornaments for Grandma and Grandpa Rigby who are on a mission in Houston right now. That was fun and they turned out so cute. The sister-in-laws made a craft, and the boys talked everything from politics to Tiger Woods.

We forgot to take very many pictures of the party, but managed to snap a few:

All the little cousins at dinner time.

Watching the family DVD that Jeff puts together every year.


Other things we have been up to:

Lizette and I at the Festival of Trees

Lizette got to meet Santa and she told him that she wants a jump rope and a pink pony for Christmas. She was a little too scared to sit on his lap, but very excited to meet him!

A sweet smile from Lexi

Well, that's it for now. I'll do more blogging and catching up soon...I hope!


1 comment:

  1. How on earth did I miss the message that you blessed Lexi! AHHHHH! I am totally in tears. I am sure I knew but being so far away....That is the first blessing we've missed for the family. I am so sorry. Oh wow! I can't even tell you how sad I am that I missed it. But I bet it was wonderful. And I'm glad everyone else was there. Great pics. Oh, and life with more than one kids DOES get even more crazy...but at the same time it gets even more rewarding. Lots of laughter....

    ReplyDelete