Last night was the official 'start of school meet and greet' at Lizette's school. As I mentioned in my last post, she got into Christine Donnell School of the Arts and I couldn't be more thrilled! Christine Donnell is an art based magnet school. It's a public school, but with a few perks that make it appealing to us and we are so happy to have Lizette there. Her teacher's name is Mrs. Cochell and appears to be about the nicest teacher ever.
 |
| In front of her new classroom |
 |
| Working at her official desk spot. :-) |
 |
| Happily creating. :) |
 |
| On her way out today! |
 |
| Sporting the new Lalaloopsy backpack. |
 |
| Lexi didn't want to let her go. |
 |
| How sweet! |
 |
| Mom was excited for her! |
 |
| Three happy girls! |
 |
| In front of her new school |
 |
| There she goes with her class! It's official...she's in school!!! |
End Notes!
Got through that post and realized I left off some important details! First of all, Lizette did just fine on her first day. She was a little bit nervous, but that was all. I held her hand and walked her to her teacher. After her teacher called the class over and asked them to follow her to the classroom, Lizette looked a little sad for a second but then followed along and seemed okay. The teacher told the class to wave goodbye to their families and Lizette looked back and waved. And that was it. So long mom, hello new and fun adventure!
When I picked her up after school...which is a whole adventure in itself! There are like an army of parents waiting to pick up their kids after school. It's crazy....Anyway, I asked her about her day. She said there is actually a princess in her class. And she was very serious about this. "A princess?" I asked.
"Yes, her name is Jasmine. You know like from the movie?!!" She was very excited. :) I guess everyone with the name Jasmine is a princess. Very cool.
Every Tuesday is PE day and so the first day of school was PE. I would not have been so excited about that as a kid, but Lizette was. She had lots of fun and was very excited about the chance to get to sit on one of those little plastic things with wheels on them some time. Remember those? I do. That and the parachute games may have been one of the only fun things in PE for me. :)
They also played an apple game and she said that during recess Jasmine could not play because she was not feeling well. So Lizette and the teacher stayed with Jasmine so that she would not have to be alone.
Oh and two of Lizette's friends from preschool are in her class and she was very excited about that. Eli and Luqa. They are the cutest little twins. Adorable really. It will be fun to have them in her class again.
So a few weeks ago, we had a family home evening and talked about the importance of friends. I thought this was a good topic going into the school year. We talked about how our friends can influence us and how we can influence our friends. Somehow the conversation ended by me telling Lizette that if anyone in school offers her cigarettes to just say no thanks and walk away and if anyone ever tries to kiss her to run away. She laughed at the kissing part. And at the cigarettes, she goes "What's a cigarette, Mommy?" I can't even remember how I described a cigarette. Oh, and it gets better. I proceeded to tell her that if anyone is ever mean to her it's okay to stand up for herself. I told her that usually the best thing to do is to walk away and ignore it, but if someone pushes her around or tries to hurt her, she can slug them in the gut and tell them to buzz off. I felt like that was Grandma Jackie talking.
No comments:
Post a Comment