Saturday, March 5, 2011

Restaurant Review #1 - Donnie Mac's

I am starting a new segment on our blog called Restaurant Reviews. Original title, I know. Jeff and I have decided (well, I decided) that whenever we go out for date night, we will try a new restaurant that we haven't tried before. I am so excited about this! I love trying different foods and there are so many restaurants in Boise with great reputations. Can't wait to get to all of them!

First stop: Donnie Mac's Trailer Park Cuisine located at 1515 W. Grove Street in downtown Boise.



When you first walk in to this place, you get an instant impression that this isn't going to be your normal restaurant experience. From the eclectic decor to the 60 something hipster looking guy playing live guitar music.

I had heard the food was very good and could not wait to try it. Their menu is not huge, but has plenty to offer any appetite. It looks to be pretty basic American fare offering things like burgers, hot dogs, mac and cheese, several salads, some fried chicken dishes, a few sandwiches and shakes.

The mac and cheese caught my eye right off and I ordered the kids size portion. (Which was plenty by the way! I couldn't even finish that and I can put down food with the best of them.)

Jeff ordered a double cheeseburger. We both chose the sweet potato fries for our sides.


Verdict? Awesome! Both meals were great. The mac and cheese was perfectly cheesy and Jeff said his burger was really, really good. He is very picky, so this is saying something. We both liked the sweet potato fries. In fact, I think that was my favorite part of the meal. They serve the fries with a sweet and tangy sauce that is great. I kept thinking that it tasted familiar. I don't know if there is a hint of brown sugar in the sauce that resembles having sweet potatoes and brown sugar during the holidays or what. Anyway, it was good.

The prices are very reasonable. My meal was $4.99 since it was a smaller portion. I think Jeff's was $7.99 or something. We also ordered shakes which were $4.50 and very yummy.

Next time we have family in town or something, this is definitely going to be top on our list of places to take them. It's fun, different and the food is great.

3 comments:

  1. I just might have to go there. Keep these reviews coming! I like to hear about places without having to try them out first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay that was a bit weird. . . . it said I was Tina, but this is Jamie.

    ReplyDelete